Friday, March 8, 2013

Pizza

This is not a "lazy day" dinner.  Homemade pizza takes too much energy.

My belief is that a great pizza starts with a great crust.  I got this recipe from my Betty Crocker Cookbook, but I tweaked it.  It makes 2 crusts.

2 1/2 to 3 c. flour
1 tbsp sugar
1 tsp salt
1 package (2 1/4 tsp) regular or quick active dry yeast
3 tbsp olive oil
1 c. very warm water (120* to 130*f)

(my additions)
garlic powder
oregano
basil
marjoram

Mix one cup of the flour, the sugar, salt and yeast in a large bowl.  Add in the garlic, oregano, basil, and marjoram (I don't measure, I just dump it in and mix until it looks herby enough).  Add the olive oil and water.  Beat with an electric mixer on medium speed 3 minutes, scraping the bowl frequently. (I admit, I mix it with a wooden spoon.  It's too much energy to take out the mixer and then wash it after)  Stir in enough remaining flour until dough is oft and leaves sides of bowl.  Place dough on a lightly floured surface. Knead 5 to 8 minutes or until dough is smooth and springy. Cover loosely with plastic wrap and let rest 30 minutes.

Preheat oven to 425*  Divide dough in half.  Pat each half into a 12-inch circle on a greased cookie sheet or pizza pan.  Partially bake 7 to 8 minutes or until crust just begins to brown.  Add toppings and bake for 8-10 minutes or until cheese is melted.

I topped this one with classico tomato & basil sauce, Galaxy Nutritional Foods mozzarella style rice shreds, cooked & crumbled turkey sausage, olives (on 1/2) and green peppers.


No comments:

Post a Comment